0 Flares 0 Flares ×
My Homemade Tomato Soup
This summery, fresh soup is so easy to make and with a few variations, you can make it into several styles of delicious main course soup.
Recipe type: Easy, Soup
Cuisine: Vegan, Vegetarian, Soup
Serves: 6 cups
- 10 medium sized fresh tomatoes - washed, tops/stems removed, cut into 4 to 6 pieces
- 1 small yellow onion - small dice
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic - roughly chopped
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt and ground pepper
- 1 sprig of fresh basil - rinsed.
- My Vegetable Broth Recipe, or other form of broth.
- In a large pot, on medium heat, add the vegetable oil.
- After about a minute, add the diced onion and saute until almost translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue to saute until the onion is translucent. (about 1 min.)
- Add the fresh tomatoes
- Add salt and pepper and sugar
- Add the broth. (You'll need enough to cover the tomatoes completely)
- Add the fresh basil
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, food processor or blender, puree the soup until desired consistency.
- Using a mesh strainer, pour and strain the soup through. Using the bottom of a ladle helps here.
- Transfer to container of your choice, if you don't plan on eating right away, and refrigerate. Or you can transfer back into soup pot to reheat before serving.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves
- Optional garnishes: fresh sour cream or creme fraiche
- Optional variation: once you have pureed and strained the soup, add heavy cream or whole milk to make cream of tomato soup.